OpenMPT is being developed since 1997 (initially named ModPlug Tracker) and can be used as a "classic" sample-based tracker to edit and play your favourite tracked music, but also as a modern DAW with plugin support and other great features. Here, you can find some of the key features of the tracker.
- Native and fast Windows GUI – accessible by screen readers and suitable for blind users
- No installation needed, fully portable
- VST effects and VST instruments supported
- DirectX audio plugins (DMO effects) supported
- Fully configurable keyboard layout (OpenMPT comes with key maps in various flavours including Impulse Tracker and Fasttracker 2 style, as well as a Dvorak layout) - shortcuts can also be bound to MIDI CCs and note-on events.
- Support for multiple sequences ("songs") in one file - write entire soundtracks in one little module file!
- Support for custom tunings
- Suitable for live performances: Queue patterns, automate VST parameters using a MIDI keyboard, start and stop your modules with MIDI messages…
- Decimal tempos are supported for perfect syncing with other sound sources.
- Templates can be used to quickly access often used combinations of samples, pattern, instrument, plugin,… settings.
- Built-in OPL3 emulator.
- High compatibility with Impulse Tracker, Scream Tracker 3, Fasttracker 2 and ProTracker.
- True multiple document interface - open many modules at the same time and copy&paste between them!
- Tabbed layout
- Support for drag and drop in various places
- Fast access to various places through the treeview: Load modules, samples and instruments directly from the treeview's built-in file browser
- Up to 127 channels for editing (256 virtual channels)
- Two editor modes: MOD / XM and S3M / IT effect notation
- Many supported sample and instrument formats: WAV, FLAC, W64, PAT, S3I, SBI, AU, CAF, SMP, ITS, RAW, BRR, AIFF, 8SVX, MAUD, DLS, MSS, SBK, SF2, SF3, SF4, XI, ITI, SFZ, Ogg, Opus, MP3 and more through Media Foundation codecs!
- A versatile sample editor with useful features like sample normalization, DC offset removal, phase inversion, amplification, high-quality resampling, etc… You can even draw your own samples using the mouse!
- Record live from your MIDI keyboard directly into the patterns or send pattern notes to any external MIDI device
- Automate VST plugins directly from the patterns and write automation data directly into the pattern when turning the knobs on your VST interface
- Edit one module in multiple windows, e.g. on several monitors
- Output via WASAPI, WaveOut, low-latency ASIO, and WaveRT
- Up to 192 kHz, 32-Bit, quad surround
- Several resampling algorithms are available
- Built-in global equalizer to correct for sound system deficiencies
Supported file formats
- Composer 667 (667)
- Composer 669 / UNIS 669 (669)
- ASYLUM Music Format (AMF)
- DSMI Advanced Music Format (AMF / DMF)
- Extreme's Tracker / Velvet Studio (AMS)
- CDFM / Composer 670 (C67)
- Digi Booster Pro (DBM)
- Digi Booster (DIGI)
- X-Tracker (DMF)
- DSIK Format (DSM)
- Dynamic Studio (DSM)
- Digital Symphony (DSym)
- Digital Tracker / Digital Home Studio (DTM)
- Farandole Composer (FAR)
- Davey W. Taylor's FM Tracker (FMT)
- General Digital Music (GDM)
- Graoumf Tracker (GTK / GT2)
- Ice Tracker / SoundTracker 2.6 (ICE / ST26)
- Imago Orpheus (IMF)
- Impulse Tracker (IT)
- Impulse Tracker Project (ITP)
- Jazz Jackrabbit 2 music format (J2B)
- SoundTracker and compatible (M15 / STK)
- DigiTrakker (MDL)
- OctaMED (MED)
- MO3 compressed modules (MO3)
- ProTracker / NoiseTracker / etc. 1 - 99 channels (MOD)
- OpenMPT (MPTM)
- MadTracker 2 (MT2)
- MultiTracker (MTM)
- Psycho Pinball / Micro Machines 2 music format (MUS)
- Oktalyzer (OKT)
- OggMod-compressed XM files (OXM)
- Disorder Tracker 2 (PLM)
- Epic Megagames MASI (PSM)
- ProTracker 3.6 IFF (PT36)
- PolyTracker (PTM)
- Scream Tracker 3 (S3M)
- SoundFX / MultiMedia Sound (SFX / SFX2 / MMS)
- Scream Tracker 2 (STM)
- Scream Tracker Music Interface Kit (STX)
- SoundTracker Pro 2 (STP)
- Symphonie / Symphonie Pro (SymMOD)
- UltraTracker (ULT)
- Unreal Music Package (UMX)
- Mod's Grave (WOW)
- FastTracker 2 (XM)
- Astroidea XMF (XMF)
- Compressed modules in ZIP / LHA / RAR / GZ archives
- MIDI (MID) - OpenMPT is not a MIDI editor, though.
- Uncompressed Wave (WAV)
- Impulse Tracker (IT)
- ProTracker 1 - 99 channels, 31 samples (MOD)
- OpenMPT (MPTM)
- ScreamTracker 3 (S3M)
- FastTracker (XM)
Rendering / Exporting
- Lossless PCM and Float Audio up to 192 KHz, 32-bit, quad surround (WAV, FLAC, AU, RAW)
- Opus, Ogg Vorbis and MPEG-1 Audio Layer III (MP3)
- MIDI (MID)
- OPL register dumps (VGM, VGZ, DRO)
OpenMPT is an actively developed music tracker. Do you have an awesome feature in mind which is not implemented in Open ModPlug Tracker yet? You may post it on our issue tracker!