OpenMPT is rather modest when it comes to system requirements. All you need is some kind of computer that can run Windows and has a sound card. The software runs on old Pentium 1 machines as well as on modern 64-Bit systems.
The following specifications are enough to run the 32-bit version for legacy systems. The regular 32-bit and 64-bit versions require a machine that matches the recommended specs.
- Windows 98 or newer (KernelEx and a fully updated system is required on Windows 98 / Me)
- Pentium 1 or a better x86-compatible CPU
- Display resolution: 800x600
- Some kind of sound device
- 15 MB of free disk space
To fully enjoy OpenMPT, you will probably want at least a machine like this one:
- Windows 7 or newer
- An x86-compatible CPU with the SSE2 instruction set, 1+ GHz and two or more cores
- A large display :-)
- A sound device with native low-latency ASIO support
- A big hard disk for many modules and samples
Bear in mind that VST plugins often come with their own system requirements and that you will probably need a much more powerful rig to run some of them.
If you are running Linux or a similar Operating System, you can run OpenMPT through Wine. The software runs fairly well with the exception of a few little glitches. It might help to get wineasio as well.
Many Linux distributions ship with an older versions of Wine. It is recommended to add the official Wine repository to your package manager in order to obtain the latest stable version of Wine. Instructions for Ubuntu Linux and derivatives