The latest stable release is OpenMPT 1.31.04.00, released on 27 August 2023.
- SHA-256: 31e6926d6f611f48ea717613173d6fd8ecf1af5ca1fe6e38310d30160d829bf9
The unified installer will install all versions of OpenMPT supported by your system (x86 with SSE2, amd64, ARM, ARM64).
If you are upgrading from an older version, it might be a good idea to read the release notes first to learn about new features.
Open ModPlug Tracker runs on about every computer that has Windows 7 or later (or Wine 1.8 or later) installed. For more details, consult the system requirements.
32-bit or 64-bit, which one is for me?
On 64-bit systems, OpenMPT will install both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of OpenMPT and default to using the 64-bit version. This is generally the recommended version to use, but you may prefer using the 32-bit version if you are using lots of 32-bit VST plugins. In this case, the 64-bit version of OpenMPT may be considerably slower. In summary, here are the conditions under which you should use the 64-bit version:
- Your computer runs a 64-bit Windows edition.
- You use no VST plugins, or most of your plugins are available as 64-bit plugins.
- You need more than 4 GB of RAM for plugins and samples.
- Do not use the 64-bit version if you use a lot of 32-bit plugins (or vice versa), as this will slow down OpenMPT considerably!
- Do not extract different portable versions (e.g. x86 and x86-64) into the same folder.
It is recommended to use the installer provided above, as it also offers the possibility to associate module files with OpenMPT. However, if you prefer a portable zipped archive, those are also available:
- SHA-256: b7c3e477c9f9624bb4a5d51b8f0735fadca289a42bb33f15f9a4304f0ac3bde8
- SHA-256: 02df199e4db5df3e123ce4f90d687a86a57a1ca7859d3b67f7e3d14222611b7a
- SHA-256: 2e69e245b90f3ace57a0003ed92df20e4496cb3f6965d202c4d9d1270a8036bd
- SHA-256: e381a0b44ecd59390db62f39ab3c272e0d4f20adae23a519207d6b6c5f375040
OpenMPT is also still available for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and earlier Windows 10 builds:
- SHA-256: 1c1617b8886d881b1e171a7fbb49b242061506cda72e485c19d2aa88cf4f90bc
- SHA-256: 410e6db1614b8e49adf806dce1fd916174f014e9ad9211eca09f8d8f70069c51
Experimental builds with reduced functionality for older systems
These builds work on Windows XP and Windows Vista, as well as in Wine on macOS.
- SHA-256: 7070f3787266d21f7d4b4c72c32c9f749b3025d2bd3551ce2ab648b729c574c3
- SHA-256: dba2aa8fe8905a7b2dcd70fe39492874013065f21a9a3397eaa3863e469b2109
- SHA-256: 9a1966e7457a32ae6b0e5b279399bdef0e59139cad1ad37a9261c3b179fc04f4
OpenMPT is licensed under the New BSD License.
- Our comprehensive wiki pages give insight into OpenMPT, not only for beginners.
- If you found a bug or have a feature request, you can use our issue tracker.
- Got a problem with the software? Visit our forums and read the FAQ!
- Subscribe to our RSS feed if you want to be informed automatically about news concerning OpenMPT.
libopenmpt and input plugins
OpenMPT's playback engine can be used in your own projects as well. Have a look at our cross-platform module playing library, libopenmpt! The libopenmpt package comes with pre-compiled input plugins for several popular audio players, so you can use OpenMPT's playback capabilities in your favourite media player as well!
Older releases of OpenMPT can be found in the release archive. If you found a bug in the current version or have other issues that prevent you from upgrading, please don't just go back to using an old version - report the bug so that we can actually fix it.
- The last official version of OpenMPT supporting Windows XP and Windows Vista is OpenMPT 1.28.10.00. See above for experimental newer builds.
- The last version of OpenMPT supporting Wine 1.6 is OpenMPT 1.27.11.00.
- The last version of OpenMPT supporting Windows 98 SE, Windows ME (both with KernelEx and all updates installed), Windows 2000, and Wine 1.0 is OpenMPT 1.26.14.00.
- The last version of OpenMPT supporting Windows 98 SE and Windows ME natively is OpenMPT 1.18.03.00.
Additional information about running OpenMPT on older systems can be found in this forum thread.
Are you looking for ModPlug Tracker 1.16 or ModPlug Player? Have a look at the legacy section!
- Here's a nice ModPlug wallpaper by Snu. Resolution: 1600x1200, with alpha transparency, so it also works great at other resolutions.